Trail News and Alerts
Trail Closure This Thursday, Jan. 28
A section of The Legacy Trail, adjacent to the Venice Train Depot, will be closed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Users can detour through Legacy Park to continue north or south. Plan your ride accordingly. Please obey the closure, and go slow and use caution.
- We’re in the top 10! Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Names The Legacy Trail as one of the 2021 top 10 trails in Florida. Click here for complete article.
- Tour de Parks 2021 is Cancelled: Sadly, the 2021 Tour de Parks has been cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. If you were registered for this event, click here for information regarding your options.
- Name the Trailheads: Help us name the three new Legacy Trail trailheads. For more information on naming criteria and how to submit, visit scgov.net/legacytrail.
- Beginning Wednesday, Jan. 13: Contractors have placed a fence across the existing Legacy Trail, just north of Culverhouse Nature Park, to delineate the active work area of the Legacy Trail Northern Extension Project. Please turn around at the designated area, and do not enter the active construction site.
- Thursday, Feb. 4 – Venetian Waterway Park West: Staff and volunteers will be working on invasive removal south of the Circus bridge, adjacent to the golf course. The trail will remain open with potential for temporary closures, as there will be vehicles and active removal occurring. Please go slow and use caution.
- Every Wednesday, Laurel Park: Surrey Ride season has kicked off at Laurel Park. The program will be running every Wednesday through April 14 with rides occurring at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and 12 p.m. For more information, including registration, click here.
Ring In the New Year
Start the new year off right with a FREE bike bell! Starting Saturday, January 16 from 9:00 a.m. – 12 noon, Friends of The Legacy Trail will be giving away bike bells at our information table located at the Bay Street-Legacy Trail intersection. Bells will be free to FLT members or to people who sign up for a membership, make a purchase, or make a donation of $5 or more. Easy, friendly, and effective, these bells can be used to alert others when passing — and to ring in the new year!
Update on the Trail Extension Progress and Schedule
In this latest Sarasota County video Jon Robinson and Nichole Rissler review the the year’s progress on the trail extension and provide an update on where we are now.
Total To Date: $88,603 from 720 Donations.